RoboFont is a UFO-based font editor for macOS.
RoboFont provides a simple-to-use environment for drawing and modifying typefaces.
It has the following main features:
- written from scratch in Python with scalability in mind
- has full scripting access to objects and the application interface
- can be used as a platform to build additional tools
- does not perform any ‘auto-magic’
- does not overload the user with a multitude of options
- uses the UFO format as its native file format
The operating philosophy behind RoboFont is:
The tools you choose influence your creative process.
Because of this, RoboFont provides many opportunities for the user to tailor the application to their design process. It is strict about not performing ‘auto-magic’ on one’s font files, ‘auto-’ anything is avoided if possible. This means that it does not do and does not have some features of other font editing applications. Because the application is extensible, if a user finds a need for a feature that isn’t part of RoboFont, it can be added. This gives users control to design the application according to their own workflow.
However, the core of RoboFont is a full featured drawing editor, containing all the basic tools a typeface designer needs for drawing and modifying a design.